Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Declare independence from tech support!

We recently ran a story on how to survive common technical-support nightmares, such as support reps who speak only eight words of English and 30-minute hold times. Our advice is all good, if I do say so, but I'm here today with an extreme, alternative perspective: Just say no to tech support. Go rogue. Secede from the union and run your own tech country, as it were.

I didn't realize it until recently, but I've been moving in this direction myself for years, dodging tech support whenever I can. After spending a few too many hours listening to synthesizer variations of "Song Sung Blue" during interminable holds, something in my limbic system must have finally switched from tech-support fight into tech-support flight. It's been working out great for me. I can't recommend that a tech novice (Hi, Mom!) follow this route, but I've found that building a support-free computing setup is actually rewarding, if you have the patience and the knack for it. So here's the plan:

Don't ask for trouble
Some products will need tech support, and some are much less likely to. Your task is to actively avoid the former and try to acquire the latter. For example, I'm in the market for a printer, in particular a networked, color all-in-one. I had my eyes on the HP OfficeJet 7410, to which we gave a good review to and that has all the features I want. But the user feedback on this printer is running two to one against, mostly because of an unwieldy software suite that many of CNET's users have said doesn't install correctly, necessitating calls to tech support. Others complain about finicky duplexers, leading to more of the same. I really want this printer, but I don't want the trouble. I'd rather give up some features than use a product that's going to force me onto the tech-support lines.


Monday's monster: Hold times from hell Tuesday's terror: The case of the techie who spoke no English
Wednesday's witch: Warranty woes Thursday's thriller: Attack of the data-eating support zombies
Friday's fiend: The user who fixed his own computer (and lived to tell the tale)

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorDesk/
4520-7297_16-5636612.html?tag=adss&tag=nl.e501-2

No comments: